Improve Your Self-Worth: 4+ Practical Techniques
If you are searching for that one person who will change your life, take a look at the mirror
Sounds pretty good, doesn’t it?
I believe that self-worth is simply the opinion you have about yourself and the value you place on yourself. It is evaluating yourself and seeing yourself as deserving, considerate and worthy of respect.
Although self-worth is often exchanged with self-esteem, self-worth should be less about measuring yourself based on external actions and more about valuing your inherent worth as a person. In other words, self-worth is about who you are, not about what you do.
Self-worth is a very sensitive topic and unique to everyone, So here are a few recommended techniques for recognizing your true self-worth
The Psychology of Self-Worth
Chances you’ve heard of words that begin with self: self-confidence, self-worth, self-esteem, self-improvement, self-care and so on. There are many words that describe who we are and how we see ourselves. Self-worth is at the core of our very selves – our thoughts, feelings, actions, decisions are tied to our worthiness as human beings
What determines your Self-Worth
Your self-worth is a function of how you value yourself. The problem with self-worth is that society determines someone’s value based on what they can see on the outside rather than who that person is on the inside which might have a significant influence on the way we see ourselves. They look at your achievements and possessions in which they form an identity for you.
But, it is futile to base your self-worth on what someone else says about you. The question is what should you base your self worth on instead? You are now left with what you have on the inside. Use your virtues as a yardstick to measure your self-worth.
You can create a list of what others think about you and another list of what you think about yourself (mainly what you have inside of you). Now hold the two lists side-by-side and think about which list describes you best. Some examples that might be on the second list are self-love, confidence, happiness, honesty, being true to yourself, your personality, the way you think.
Therefore the answer to what determines your self-worth is …
Drum roll, please
What you want to determine your self-worth.
It depends on you. Will you choose from the first list or from the second list?
How To Find Your Innate Self-Worth and Value Yourself More
“The better you feel about yourself, the less you feel the need to show off” – Robert hand.
This is my most interesting part. Before you are able to make value yourself more, there are some mindset shifts you must make. Some thoughts and beliefs you have to get rid of, and some you have to adopt. Holding on to your previous mindsets will only take you so far.
You change your mindset by changing your thoughts. It all starts from the thoughts you think. Your thoughts become your feelings, your feelings become your actions, and your actions become your results. If you don’t change the way you think about yourself from the root, you will always bounce back to the state you were.
10 Thoughts and Beliefs of people with High Self-Worth that you can learn from
- The “things” I have do not define me: The money, houses, businesses, certificates or job you have does not define your self-worth. You define your own self-worth
- No matter what I’ve done or haven’t done. I am worthy of love: It doesn’t matter what you’ve done in your life, or what you have failed to do, you are worthy of love. Love is in abundance. You are loved by your family, friends, others and most importantly, yourself
- I will always remain in a beautiful state no matter what happens: I say this to myself every day and you should too. No matter what happens to you during the day, always choose to live in a beautiful state. Be grateful, have peace, don’t mind other’s opinions and smile more. You would suddenly feel a lot happier.
- I am the owner of my life. I make my choices and decisions: People with high self-worth take responsibility for their actions and decisions in life. Accept the fact that you are where you are right now because of the choices your past self made. Where you will be in future will be as a result of the choices you make right now.
- It’s not about what happens; it’s about how I respond to what happens: One of the greatest values we have as human beings is our attention. Everyone wants to get a hold of your attention. You are the one to determine where you focus your attention. You choose what you respond to and how you respond to it.
- I do what I love, and love what I do: Make sure you do what you love and love what you do. This will improve your self worth and you will generally feel good about yourself.
- I will always feed my mind with thoughts that grow and energizes me: You are what you feel your mind with. If you feed your mind with thoughts that hinder your growth, you will not grow. Similarly, if you feed your mind with thoughts that grows and energize you, you will grow. Choose carefully, what you think about
- I am successful no matter what anybody says: This is a personal decision you have to make. People measure success by the “things” you have. Success doesn’t have one meaning. It is different for everybody. You make a personal decision to be successful, then you start acting like a successful person.
- Every day, I find things to be grateful for: Grateful people are successful people. When you become more grateful for everything you are and you have around you, your self worth grows.
- I love the people around me, but they don’t change who I am: Love your friends, family and others but don’t let them stop you from achieving your goals, from developing and growing your self worth
3 Activities That Can Develop Your Self-Worth
Self awareness is the ability to monitor one’s emotions and reactions. It is basically being aware of yourself. Taking a step back and observing what you think, do and how you react to things. This activity helps you understand your strength, weaknesses, triggers, motivation and other characteristics. Some self awareness skills to try out are;
- Keep an open mind
- Be mindful of your strengths and weaknesses
- Stay focused
- Embrace your intuition
- Practice self discipline
Increase your self understanding(strive to develop mastery of yourself)
This comes after self awareness because to understanding yourself to develop mastery, you need to know some certain characteristics about yourself. Both good or bad. You need to be aware of the choices you make and what you do in certain situations
Then you will start to develop mastery of yourself. Work on yourself. Adopt good and healthy habits. Get rid of the things you don’t like about yourself. Understanding yourself is a process. This process occurs throughout your lifetime. Just take one step at a time. Your self worth will be improved.
Share your worth to the world (Do something that is bigger than yourself)
My purpose is to do something bigger than myself. Now, why is that important for self-worth? Because doing something bigger than yourself makes you feel really good about yourself. Also, you are making someone else’s life better. Even if it is just one person, you are empowering and improving their life and that is worth more than having so many “things”.
This activity improves your self-worth and is in line with your purpose. The reason you are brought to this earth is to make someone’s life a little bit better.
“The greatest reward comes when you give yourself. It’s about bettering the lives of other, being part of something bigger than yourself, and making a positive difference” – Nick Vujicic
Quotes on Self-Worth
What to do now?
- In the comments, tell me one thing that inspired you the most from this post
- Share this post to a friend
- Check out other posts that will improve your life below.